Crossover & SUVs have have started to outnumber new sedans in key markets across the globe. According to Statista, sales of these vehicles are expected to exceed 50 million units by 2023. Like everywhere else in the world, CUVs have become a new craze in our market and have started to out-shadow conventional sedans & hatchbacks with more & more players exploring the segment with their multiple offers.
In 2017, the market share of crossover & SUVs in Pakistan was just 7% among new car sales. However by the end of 2021, the CUV share has increased to 22% which is expected to grow even further in 2022. In many countries, share of CUVs is over 50% already, and from the looks of it Pakistan is on its way to catch up pretty fast.
Related: Will You Ditch Your Sedan in Favor of a Crossover?
If we take a look at our market for crossover & SUVs that have either been introduced or are expected to go on sale in near future, the number exceeds well above 16 with MG HS and ZS, Kia Sportage & Sorento, Peugeot 2008, Kia Stonic, Hyundai Tucson, DFSK Glory 580 & 580 Pro, Toyota Corolla Cross, Proton X70, BAIC BJ40 Plus & Changan Oshan X7 among those already introduced whereas Chery Tiggo-8 Pro and Tiggo-4 Pro, DFSK Glory 530, GAC GS3, BAIC X25, Peugeot 3008 and a few more are expected to be launched soon.
Sport utility vehicles (SUVs) or Crossover Utility Vehicles (CUVs) generally combine the characteristics of road-use passenger cars and off-road vehicles. And there are a few reasons why these are becoming rapidly popular in most markets across the globe.
- The commanding seating position makes you feel high and mighty. Sitting up higher, you can see further down the road. Sometimes, you can even see over other traffic, which can help you to prepare for hazards ahead and avoid trouble.
- They offer ample headroom and legroom for the passengers and can seat up to 7 people (depending on the version), hence can be used as people movers whenever required.
- Due to high ground clearance, larger tires, and powerful engines under the hood, the SUVs & CUVs can literally go anywhere, everywhere. As most of these vehicles come equipped with AWD systems so they are able to handle off-roading as well.
- They offer ease of ingress and egress- means it’s much easier to get in and out of a crossover/ SUV compared to any sedan or hatchback.
- There was a time when SUVs had a bad reputation for high fuel consumption. However today they come with sophisticated fuel efficient and often turbocharged engine options which are not only powerful but are easy on pocket too.
Related: 5 Funky Crossovers Pakistan Should be Getting
There was a time when sedans were considered as most desirable vehicles to own, not just in our market but in most parts of the world. However, that seems to be changing now. And considering the fact that compact sedans in our market have become so expensive in recent years that they have already entered the price domain of loaded CUVs, for example new Honda Civic. But thanks to an influx of new options, people are now shifting their preferences towards crossovers & SUVs.
A 3d animation professional with over 20 years of industry experience having served in leading organizations & production facilities of Pakistan, an avid car enthusiast and petrolhead with an affection to deliver writings to help shape opinions. Formerly written for PakWheels as well as major publications including Dawn. Founder of CarSpiritPK.com