Malaysian automaker Proton is continuing its buoyant momentum in its home market with a sales growth of 36.5% this year. The rapid growth also overtook the sales of other major vehicle brands in the country.
The strong sales growth is attributed to company’s first sport utility vehicle– the X70 and the new & affordable Proton Saga. According to Proton’s Sales and Marketing Director Cheng Seng Fook:
“About 23% of sales are contributed by the X70, while the remaining 77% cent came from other models. We have so far delivered over 20,000 units of X70 vehicles, and we will continue to be the champions in the executive and premium sector.”
Other Proton models also performed well with Persona’s sales increasing by over 65% compared to the same period last year. The sales growth for the Proton Iriz also multiplied by three whereas Exora became the best-selling MPV in its segment. The newly launched Proton Saga facelift that was introduced just last month received an impressive 12,000 units order in only five weeks time.
Chinese automaker Geely acquired a controlling stake in Proton back in 2017. At the time of takeover Geely announced that it is committed to supporting the transformation of Proton with its expertise, and aims to build Proton into the most competitive brand in Malaysia and a leading brand in Southeast Asia. And this vision seems to be turning out into reality.
Related: Proton Targets 100k Sales in 2020
Proton has already captures nearly 18% of market share becoming the second bestselling brand in Malaysia. According to the company, it is well on course to achieve its sales target for the year 2018 by October.
Al-Haj Automotive having teamed up with Malaysian automaker Proton is in process of setting up its assembly plant in Karachi. The first product to be offered in Pakistan by Al-Haj Proton venture will be the 1.3 liter Saga facelift. The company will reportedly begin selling CBU version of the Saga sedan by the second quarter of 2020.
With 2019 Proton Saga facelift getting an over-whelming response in its home market, one can expect it to perform the same here if it’s priced right. Whether the Saga will receive the same reception here when launched, we will have to wait to find out.
A computer animation professional with over 23 years of industry experience having served in leading organizations, TV channels & production facilities in Pakistan. An avid car enthusiast and petrolhead with an affection to deliver quality content to help shape opinions. Formerly written for PakWheels as well as major publications including Dawn. Founder of CarSpiritPK.com