Toyota is recalling 1.7 million vehicles in North America to replace potentially deadly Takata front passenger air bag inflators. The move announced on Wednesday includes 1.3 million vehicles in the USA and is part of the largest series of automotive recalls in the nation’s history.
Takata inflators can explode with too much force and hurl shrapnel into drivers and passengers. At least 23 people have been killed worldwide and hundreds have been injured. Dealers will either replace the inflator or the entire airbag assembly.
The latest recall affects certain Toyota, Scion and Lexus models including:
- 4Runner (2010 through 2016)
- Corolla (2010 through 2013)
- Matrix (2010 through 2013)
- Sienna (2011 through 2014)
- ES 350 (2010 through 2012)
- GX 460 (2010 through 2017)
- IS 250C (2010 through 2015)
- IS 350C (2010 through 2015)
- IS 250 (2010 through 2013)
- IS 350 (2010 through 2013)
- IS-F (2010 through 2014)
- Scion XB (2010 through 2015).
This week, Ford also issued a recall of nearly 1 million vehicles in North America in connection with the faulty Takata airbags.
A 3d animation professional with over 20 years of industry experience having served in leading organizations & production facilities of Pakistan, an avid car enthusiast and petrolhead with an affection to deliver writings to help shape opinions. Formerly written for PakWheels as well as major publications including Dawn. Founder of CarSpiritPK.com