Toyota is known as the pioneering king of the hybrids but it has long resisted adding petrol-electric power to its four-wheel drive offerings. However Chinese automaker Great Wall Motors (GWM) has done it in form of the new Tank 300, the prices of which have just been revealed in Australia– one of the few key right hand drive (RHD) markets of the world.
Tank 300 has been priced from $55,990 AUD (PKR 84.68 lac) drive-away for the base Lux variant and $60,990 AUD (PKR 92.39 lac) for the fully loaded Ultra variant. These prices undercuts benchmark off-roaders such as the Ford Everest and Jeep Wrangler in the Australian market.
After Haval Jolion Hybrid and GWM Haval H6 Hybrid, this is the third hybrid offering under the GWM umbrella in Australia. Showcasing bold exterior design backed with world-class 4WD technology, a luxurious interior and advanced features, the GWM Tank 300 is poised to become a strong option for those looking to explore Australian roads, tracks and beyond, according to the company.
Tank 300 off-road focus is shown by its under-body protection, a “tank turn function” that is claimed to shorten its turning circle and a transparent chassis view for navigating rough roads. It also features Crawl Mode that keeps the vehicle at a stable speed in tough conditions.
Available with a 2.0L turbo hybrid engine offering 180kW and 380Nm that is assisted by an electric motor which serves up an additional 78kW and 268Nm. The engine comes paired to a 9-speed automatic gearbox and offers a towing capacity of 2,500kg. Built on the brand’s global off-road platform, GWM says the Tank 300 has been designed to perform in all conditions. It boasts ample ground clearance of 224 mm, a generous 33° approach angle and 34° departure angle, combined with proven Torque On Demand 4WD technology to facilitate challenging off-road adventures.
Tank 300 interior
Inside it features faux-leather seats and multi-function steering wheel, a 12.3-inch central screen compatible with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto and a digital instrument display of the same size. Other highlights include a 9-speaker stereo, ambient lighting and a sunroof. There are also a wide range of active safety features including vital items such as blind-spot warning, auto emergency braking and rear cross-traffic alert with auto braking function. Both Lux and Ultra variants come with generous levels of standard equipment.
Tank 300 Lux Variant offers:
- 17-inch alloy wheels
- 6-way power driver seat
- Comfort-Tek leather seats
- Microfiber Leather Steering Wheel
- 12.3-inch full color instrument cluster
- 12.3-inch full color infotainment system
- Front and rear USB charge points (front with data transmission)
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- 9-speaker audio
- 7-colour ambient lighting
- Digital radio DAB+
- Power windows
- Auto-folding, heated power exterior mirrors
- LED headlights and taillights
- Daytime Running Lights (DRLs)
- 2-piece under-body guard
- 12V power outlets (front and luggage cabin)
- Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
- 7 SRS airbags – Front, Side, Curtain and Middle
- Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)
- Auto Emergency Braking (AEB)
- Front Collision Warning (FCW)
- Lane Departure Warning (LDW)
- Lane Keep Assist (LKA)
- Traffic Sign Recognition (TSR)
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA) with brake
- Crawl Control
- Tank Turn
- Transparent Chassis Function
- Front and rear parking sensors
- 360-degree view monitor
On top of these, the Lux variant adds:
- 18-inch alloy wheels instead of 17
- Nappa leather seats
- Heated and cooled front seats
- 8-way power driver seat with massage function and 4-way power lumbar support adjustment
- Heated, leather steering wheel
- Wireless charging
- Infinity 9-speaker audio
- 64-colour ambient lighting
- 220V power outlet (luggage cabin)
- Front differential lock
- 3-piece under-body guard
- Auto parking
- Auto reverse tracking function
GWM Tank 300 is available in 5 exterior colors: Lunar Red, Hamilton White, Dusk Orange, Fossil Grey and Crystal Black. It is backed by a 7-year and unlimited kilometer warranty, 5-years of roadside assistance, and 5-years of capped-price servicing. Although Tank 300 has already been spied in right-hand drive guise in Australia, the company is yet to release its official RHD photos. Formal unveiling is expected to take place in coming weeks.
A 3d animation professional with over 20 years of industry experience having served in leading organizations & production facilities of Pakistan, an avid car enthusiast and petrolhead with an affection to deliver writings to help shape opinions. Formerly written for PakWheels as well as major publications including Dawn. Founder of CarSpiritPK.com