Like other parts of the world, crossovers are rapidly becoming popular in our market.
In the last couple of years alone, an array of crossover & SUVs has been introduced in Pakistan including, but not limited to the likes of Kia Sportage, Hyundai Tucson, DFSK Glory 580 and 580 Pro, MG HS & ZS, Proton X70, Haval H6 and Jolion whereas few more are in the pipeline and expected to be launched in near future including the Peugeot 2008 by Lucky group, DFSK Glory 500 by Regal, BJ40 and X25 by Sazgar, UNI-T & Oshan X7 by Changan & few Chery SUVs that will be introduced by Ghandhara.
Sport utility vehicles (SUVs) or Crossover Utility Vehicles (CUVs) generally combine the characteristics of road-use passenger cars and off-road vehicles. According to Statista, sales of these vehicles are expected to double between 2017 and 2023 and exceed 50 million units by 2023.
Why are the SUVs becoming so popular?
There are a few reasons why crossover and SUVs are becoming rapidly popular in most markets across the globe.
- The commanding seating position makes you feel high and mighty. Sitting up higher, you can see further down the road. Sometimes, you can even see over other traffic, which can help you to prepare for hazards ahead and avoid trouble.
- They offer ample headroom and legroom for the passengers and can seat up to 7 people (depending on the version), hence can be used as people movers whenever required.
- Due to high ground clearance, larger tires, and powerful engines under the hood, the SUVs & CUVs can literally go anywhere, everywhere. As most of these vehicles come equipped with AWD systems so they are able to handle off-roading as well.
- They offer ease of ingress and egress- means it’s much easier to get in and out of a crossover/ SUV compared to any sedan or hatchback.
- There was a time when SUVs had a bad reputation for high fuel consumption. However today they come with sophisticated fuel efficient and often turbocharged engine options which are not only powerful but are easy on pocket too.
There was a time when sedans were considered as most desirable vehicles to own, not just in our market but in most parts of the world. However, that seems to be changing now.
Keeping entry level sedans aside, the likes of ordinary Toyota Corolla and Honda Civic have gone out of the reach of buyers. But thanks to an influx of crossover & SUVs which are priced in the same league as the pricey Civic & Corolla, people are now shifting their preferences towards crossovers.
So the question is, if given a chance to buy, will you ditch your conventional sedan in favor of a crossover or SUV? Let us know with your answers in the comments section below.